Exploring Comstock Park, MI

comstock1Comstock Park, MI was established in 1938.  An interesting detail which is often lost to current residents of Comstock Park, Michigan is that the town originally had a different name!

Comstock Park was orginally named North Park after its founder, Daniel North. In 1906, the town was renamed Comstock Park, after Charles C. Comstock, who represented the district in Congress from 1885-1886.

Today, the town is best known for the Old Kent Ball Park, home of the popular, West Michigan Whitecaps Baseball team. Comstock Park is a thriving community with numerous business and retail outlets including the Greenridge Plaza.  The Alpine corridor, as it is known to locals is now arguably the busiest commercial street in the Grand Rapids, MI area.   Audu Real Estate corporate headquarters are located in Comstock Park.

A recent rennovation of the old K-Mart building brought some more big box retail into the area and a well loved local bookstore, Schuler Book Stores which opened a large new store with a bookstore cafe.  Comstock Park is the location of a number of residential developments including York Creek Apartments, one of the largest apartment communities in the area.

A visit to Comstock Park would not be complete without a stop at the Mill Creek Park downtown. It’s a wonderful place to bring children and to enjoy the extensive hiking trail.

Links:

Comstock Park information